Sunday, August 3, 2014

Meet the Teacher

Ahhhhh my first blog post! :) 

Hi! I'm Cynnamon! I'm a fifth grade teacher in Pensacola, Florida. This is my fifth year teaching! My first four years in teaching were in Northern Virginia. I have been talking about blogging for over a year now and am finally doing it!

Grade you teach: 
I am teaching fifth grade now. I was a general education teacher in second grade in Title 1 school in Virginia for two years. I started my teaching career as a Special Education Teacher for grades K and 4, and a self contained ED teacher for grades 3, 4, 5. I always thought I wanted to teach in the lower grades after leaving the Special Education world but since moving to Florida my mind may have changed. I have heard several times since being here that I look like a fifth grade teacher or that I have an "upper grade teacher" personality so I am excited to see what fifth grade has in store for me! 

What is your teaching "style"?
I want my students to enjoy school. Learning should be fun, that means that I try to make my lessons fun, engaging, hands-on and memorable and include as much student centered learning as I can. I came from a school where the teachers created most all of their lessons for every subject because of the needs of our kids. Our kids were significantly economically disadvantaged and had significant learning setbacks because of language barriers - so textbooks were used to supplement the teaching not be the teaching. At my new school textbooks are the way of teaching so I am in new territory. I am looking forward to finding a balance between all of my awesome hands on created lessons and using the textbooks so that I have more free time to enjoy my paradise living. I want my kids to enjoy being at school and feel safe and happy to learn and share their ideas.

7 comments:

  1. Cute blog! I've just started blogging myself this summer, and I'm sad that I too didn't start sooner. I'm now following you.

    Mary
    4th Works

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It is still a work in progress! Excited to follow you back! Good luck this school year!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You aren't too far from me. I'm in Panama City Beach and I also teach 5th grade. Welcome to the bloggin' world! :)
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison! Getting to Panama City is on my to do list! Hope you have a great year!

      Delete