Monday, August 18, 2014

Teacher Week: Who

 Linky Party Number 2.
 BTS 2014 Click any of the BTS14 Buttons to join the fun!


Family:
I have the greatest family. Seriously it's the best one there is. At least that is what I grew up thinking and I am happy to shout it from the mountain tops. :) My family is a split family we have a his, mine and ours thing going on, but if I didn't tell you that you wouldn't know. 

My mom is the most beautiful and talented woman I have ever met. She literally has an unimaginable strengthen. She raised four kids, had three of us go off to college at the same time, and now is managing to hold it all together while we all disperse across the country. She is truly an amazing woman. She can do amazing things with a camera, and I have never seen anyone google quite like my mom. She can find grants, scholarships, lesson ideas and a whole range of things that I couldn't find. Truly blessed she is my mom. The song "Somebody's Hero" by Jamie O'Neal. While my mom didn't raise us on her own my whole life, she did balance everything in a superhero like way. 

My (step)dad has been in my life since I was four (my biological father not so much), so as far as I am concerned my stepdad is my dad. After many years of fighting to use his last name, my senior year I was legally adopted and finally legally able to use his last name on everything and anything I wanted. He is an amazing man and the Brad Paisley song "Man He Didn't Have To Be" is my dad's song from me, because my whole life he has been the man he didn't have to be. 

My older (step)brother, Matt, is awesome. Best older brother ever. He isn't going to sugar coat anything and he tells you how it is and how it is going to be. He is one of those "Only I make my sister cry, you do it I'll take you out" and has always considered me a blood sister and has been protective of me me whole life. Man it is awesome knowing you have that in your life. 

My younger brother, Jayme, is also awesome. Biologically my brother, I used to think we had this sibling thing going on, like twins (except we aren't twins haha). We got really close in college both being away from home and yet only about 10 miles from each other. I have always been VERY protective of Jayme. He is my Hero and he is my whole life...well until...

Until my baby sister came along. I have a baby sister, Emily. She is also my whole world. I always wanted a sister and when I was ten years old I finally got one. Little did I know that at ten a baby sister is not quite as much fun as you would think. However later in life it is the BEST thing ever. Now granted we never traded clothes, shared makeup or a bedroom. We did have great sister adventures and I couldn't be happier to watch her play soccer, volunteer at Sprout Therapeutic Riding Center, she has grown into the most beautiful young lady. I could literally go on and on about my sister, and the whole rest of my family. They are literally the BEST family ever.

Can't forget my adorable furbaby. Myles. He is so handsome and really is such a good dog. I miss him terribly as he is living with my roommate in Virginia since I can't have him in our house in Florida.

One more family member I have to mention is...Christopher. It is about to get super mushy guys...sorry. Christopher and I have been dating for a little over a year and I have just moved over a 1000 miles away from my family, friends, and teaching career in Virginia to be by his side in Florida. I couldn't be happier about this decision because he is the BEST thing to have happened to me in the last year. He makes me a better person and is able to tame me when I am all wound up or stressed about school or general life. I wake up every morning smiling and fall asleep happy because I know he is there with me. I am truly blessed. I can't say it enough. Every once in a while I ask him if he still loves me and his response is always "Everyday". <3 

Friends:
While I have the BEST family I also have the BEST friends. To keep you from reading too much more than I have already written  I will include pictures with brief captions. 
Right Photo: Left to Right: 
My Catoctin Creek Distilling Company Family, best second job I have ever had. 
My coworker Alexa, awesome girl. My roommate and Myles, miss them. Mr. Skiffington, kindest soul on the planet. 
My SUG girls! 
Laura, My best friend since 1st grade.
Jen and I - is it happy hour yet? 
SUG girls again! 
Kacey and I.
Laura and I. Best friend Kisses.
Bottom Collage: Left to Right: 
Desiree, my soulmate. ame soeur. 
Chelsea, Chris, Andrea, Steve and I.
Both pictures are Desiree and I.
Kacey and I. 
Chris's whole crew for Frankie's B-day
Night out in Richmond with Shana, me, Desiree and Katie
In Purple is Caitlyn (she is fourth grade lemonade) and I. Follow her blog friends she is inspiring!!!
Me, Desiree and Courtney at a Nationals baseball game
Steelers vs Redskins game with Chris, Chelsea, Steve, Andrea, Kacey and me!

Why I Teach:
Part of what makes me who I am as a teacher is why I teach. I my reasoning for teaching has changed over the years. When I went to college and throughout college it was because I thought I could do it better than my previous teachers. As I started subbing and working in schools more (teaching extended school year for Autistic students) and then finally getting my first teaching job in a Title 1 school in Virginia that was mostly Hispanic students who were the sweetest yet most economically disadvantaged kids I had ever seen. My reasoning for teaching shifted to being I wanted to make a difference in their lives. I wanted to be the one that cared for them and about if they succeeded. It was so rewarding. Starting my first day in fifth grade, my students asked me "How many kids are you going to have?" my response was I don't need to have kids, I have you guys and you guys are my life. And that is so true. My students aren't just the kids that sit in the desks in my classroom they are my kids. I don't just think about my kids when they are sitting in my classroom I think about them ALL THE TIME. All summer I have thought about my previous kids and my future kids. It is truly awesome being a teacher and being able to affect the lives of others.

Click the button below to join the Linky!

3 comments:

  1. You are blessed to have such a loving family and a great group of friends! I also love your font! Typewriter retro!

    Lisa @ TeachingandLearningwitthLisaandLaura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The font came with the layout from the cutest blog on the block. It is still a work in progress. Thanks so much for reading! :) Happy New School Year!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed my story! Florida is treating me pretty well so far : ) Best of luck to you this year too!

    ReplyDelete